Bedhead

Just finished up and installed a bedhead that a client wanted for a house she is decorating. It was the first time I’d built something like this, so it was a bit of a challenge and good fun to build and figure out the best way to do it. She wanted a “Beachy Look” as it’s for a holiday rental house down the coast. I think it turned out alright and the client is very happy with it as well.

bedhead (20)
Bedhead Installed

Thanks to Rebecca from Drift Interiors. You can get a few more details by visiting my Projects page.

Back Again

Sorry it’s been a while since I posted here but I’ve been a bit busy recently and have been way too slack in keeping my posts up to date. You can expect to see more posts coming in the near future. If you want to keep a bit more informed you can go to my Facebook page “Simon’s Wood Stuff” and keep up to date with the posts there. Give it a like and you’ll get to see my posts as I do them. Well must get on with it. Catch you soon.

No Turning Today

Did up a whole lot of acrylic blanks over Easter to start making some pens and other items for the next market. Cut all the blanks, glued all the tubes in, squared up the ends, mounted one on the lathe and went to make sure I had everything I needed, only to find out that I didn’t have any micro mesh pads left. So after swearing a bit, it was back onto the PC and order some in. Hoping they will arrive tomorrow so I can get stuck into some turning on Monday.

At least I could keep myself busy over the last few days doing other things around the yard and started on making up a new box (pics to follow).

 

Turnfest 2016

Had an amazing time at the Gold Coast last week attending Turnfest. It really is an eye opener to see what people are capable of doing with a few bits of wood and a lathe. It has inspired me to try a few more things this year, and to push myself into learning more about wood turning.

Next year is the 15th Turnfest and there are some amazing turners coming from around the world to show there skills and pass their knowledge onto other turners. I’m already booked and counting down the days.

Now I just have to find a bit more time to get into the shed more and start turning wood into sawdust.

Another Weather Station

It’s been a while since I posted anything as I’ve been busy running around and looking after things ( as well as taking a nice holiday to Fiji).

I made this Weather Station and Clock before I left, but didn’t get time to post it. Hope you like them.

The Weather Station is on a bit of Sassafras I brought back from a trip to Tasmania last year and the Clock is in the remains of the Red Gum Burl that I did the last Weather Station in ( see the post below).

Will put these up at the markets this weekend and see how they go. Sold the last one very quickly at the stall I had at the markets last month.

Weather Station

Took a few days in the shed, between making articles to sell at the markets and tidying up some wood, to make a Weather Station. I’ve had the weather instruments hanging around for a while and the piece of burl had been on the shelf for quite some time, so I thought I might as well put them together and see how it goes.

Weather Station

I had some fun drilling the holes for the instruments to fit into as I only had a 60mm Forstner bit and needed one about 64mm. It just meant I had to get a bit creative when I mounted the instruments in the wood. Didn’t turn out too bad. Finished it with Wipe On Poly (about 10 coats) sanded back to 400 for the last couple of coats.

I might put it up for sale at the next markets and see how I go.