Huon Pine Pen Order

Finished off this set of pens for some friends last week. Got the nod today that they had received them. Was a good set of pens to do. The box of three pens is a set of Vertex style pens with a Fountain Pen, Roller Ball and Pencil. All in chrome and Huon Pine. This set was a gift for Pauline Longdon on her becoming a #1 Bestseller for her book “From Depression Darkness to the Light of Life” from her partner Rae Brent. Hope you can use them to write the next bestseller.

The other boxed pen (one of four sets) is a Roman Harvest style Fountain Pen also in Huon Pine. The two dip pens are also in Huon Pine.

The two slimline pens at the front are made with Blackheart Sassafras. I changed out the clips and to add a bit of a personal touch for the new owners.

Hope that they will get many years of enjoyment out of them.

Advertisements

Laser Engraver

Had a play today with a new mini laser that I bought on ebay a while ago. Not a bad little unit for the price. Had a bit of trouble getting the software to work on my laptop, but finally got it going. Paired that with a pen jig that I got from @Benson Pace in Melbourne. Jig works a treat allowing you to engrave on a pen. Had a couple of hiccups trying to get it working ( my problems not the jigs ). Very well manufactured bit of gear and a good set of instructions. Very good value for the price. Anyway had fun burning a couple of Sierra Pens. The caduceus picture I downloaded from the web as an experiment. Will be going to a nurse friend.

Blackwood Bowl

I finished off this bowl a couple of weeks ago and I finally got around to showing it here. It’s made with a hunk of Blackwood that I had picked up somewhere. It’s about 200 mm Dia and 50 mm High. It’s finished with several coats of Ubeaut Aussie Oil. Still need to put a couple more coats of oil on it yet.

Yellowbox Bowls

Well it’s been a while since I posted anything. I’ve been a bit busy doing things around the house and grabbing shed time when I could.
 
This is a Yellowbox Bowl that I completed in January but haven’t had a chance to post yet. The walls are a bit thick but the wood blank had so many cracks in it that I wasn’t sure it would hold together at all. A liberal application of super glue to the cracks, as they appeared, and several attempts at turning it come up with a shape I was finally happy with. It was finally finished with a “Wipe on Poly” to give it a semi-gloss finish.
 
The big cracks in the bottom could have been filled in with something to make it look a bit better. Maybe next time. I still have another block of this left ( although it’s cracked a bit worse) so I’ll see how it come up later this year.
 
Might have to put this up for sale at the next market to see if I can get anything for it.

Turnfest 2016

Had an amazing time at the Gold Coast last week attending Turnfest. It really is an eye opener to see what people are capable of doing with a few bits of wood and a lathe. It has inspired me to try a few more things this year, and to push myself into learning more about wood turning.

Next year is the 15th Turnfest and there are some amazing turners coming from around the world to show there skills and pass their knowledge onto other turners. I’m already booked and counting down the days.

Now I just have to find a bit more time to get into the shed more and start turning wood into sawdust.

Colourful Slimlines

Managed to get a couple of more pens done over the last few days. These are Slimline Pens with a colourful multilayered blank that turned out very nicely. The pattern and colours show up quite well. The stylus was made because one of the blanks splintered in the process, so I cut it down and used the recoverable part for the stylus. Silly to waste a decent bit of wood.
Slimline Colour

Yellow Box

Had a friend drop off a couple of pieces of Yellow Box the other day (thanks Sam). Nice looking wood but unfortunately it’s not for me. He wants me to make him up a  couple of bowls from it.

Yellow Box for Bowls
Yellow Box for Bowls

Just waiting a little while for it to acclimatise to the local environment a bit and then I’ll see what I can do. There’s a bit of splitting on the ends so I’m hoping it doesn’t go in too far and I can get a decent sized blank out of them for the bowls. Keep watching for an update