Finished off this set of pens for some friends last week. Got the nod today that they had received them. Was a good set of pens to do. The box of three pens is a set of Vertex style pens with a Fountain Pen, Roller Ball and Pencil. All in chrome and Huon Pine. This set was a gift for Pauline Longdon on her becoming a #1 Bestseller for her book “From Depression Darkness to the Light of Life” from her partner Rae Brent. Hope you can use them to write the next bestseller.
The other boxed pen (one of four sets) is a Roman Harvest style Fountain Pen also in Huon Pine. The two dip pens are also in Huon Pine.
The two slimline pens at the front are made with Blackheart Sassafras. I changed out the clips and to add a bit of a personal touch for the new owners.
Hope that they will get many years of enjoyment out of them.
Had a play today with a new mini laser that I bought on ebay a while ago. Not a bad little unit for the price. Had a bit of trouble getting the software to work on my laptop, but finally got it going. Paired that with a pen jig that I got from @Benson Pace in Melbourne. Jig works a treat allowing you to engrave on a pen. Had a couple of hiccups trying to get it working ( my problems not the jigs ). Very well manufactured bit of gear and a good set of instructions. Very good value for the price. Anyway had fun burning a couple of Sierra Pens. The caduceus picture I downloaded from the web as an experiment. Will be going to a nurse friend.
I finished off this bowl a couple of weeks ago and I finally got around to showing it here. It’s made with a hunk of Blackwood that I had picked up somewhere. It’s about 200 mm Dia and 50 mm High. It’s finished with several coats of Ubeaut Aussie Oil. Still need to put a couple more coats of oil on it yet.
Well it’s been a while since I posted anything. I’ve been a bit busy doing things around the house and grabbing shed time when I could.
This is a Yellowbox Bowl that I completed in January but haven’t had a chance to post yet. The walls are a bit thick but the wood blank had so many cracks in it that I wasn’t sure it would hold together at all. A liberal application of super glue to the cracks, as they appeared, and several attempts at turning it come up with a shape I was finally happy with. It was finally finished with a “Wipe on Poly” to give it a semi-gloss finish.
The big cracks in the bottom could have been filled in with something to make it look a bit better. Maybe next time. I still have another block of this left ( although it’s cracked a bit worse) so I’ll see how it come up later this year.
Might have to put this up for sale at the next market to see if I can get anything for it.
Did up a whole lot of acrylic blanks over Easter to start making some pens and other items for the next market. Cut all the blanks, glued all the tubes in, squared up the ends, mounted one on the lathe and went to make sure I had everything I needed, only to find out that I didn’t have any micro mesh pads left. So after swearing a bit, it was back onto the PC and order some in. Hoping they will arrive tomorrow so I can get stuck into some turning on Monday.
At least I could keep myself busy over the last few days doing other things around the yard and started on making up a new box (pics to follow).
Had an amazing time at the Gold Coast last week attending Turnfest. It really is an eye opener to see what people are capable of doing with a few bits of wood and a lathe. It has inspired me to try a few more things this year, and to push myself into learning more about wood turning.
Next year is the 15th Turnfest and there are some amazing turners coming from around the world to show there skills and pass their knowledge onto other turners. I’m already booked and counting down the days.
Now I just have to find a bit more time to get into the shed more and start turning wood into sawdust.